Yes it is! Through the Visa Waiver Program, since January 2009, it is now possible to travel to the United States for up to 90 days without a visa. If you are from among the thirty-eight countries eligible for this program, all you need to go through is the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) and complete the online form. You must also be in possession of a readable passport or an e-passport and a credit card to make the payment.
ESTA is an online system developed by the government of the United States to determine whether visitors are able to make a trip usa or not, and to strengthen the national security. The ESTA system, operated by the Department of Homeland Security, includes an online form in which travelers must provide information about their identity and the reasons of their journey and answer questions with “Yes” or “No”. Once the data is entered in the system an automatic response is almost immediately provided.
The possible answers are:
- Travelling officially authorization
- Travelling Not Authorized
- Authorization Pending.
If the request is denied, the traveler must apply for a temporary visa to travel to the United States. If approval is pending, the traveler will receive a final response within 72 hours.
Some important information to remember:
- Present a valid passport from a country included in the Visa Waiver
- The ESTA for the United States is valid for 2 years
- The duration of stay in the USA is limited to 90 days
- The tour is conducted on an air or sea carrier signatory to the Visa Waiver Program
- The ESTA is not a visa, but an authorization to travel to the United States